BLITAR – The upcoming KONI leadership election in Blitar has sparked controversy. An anti-corruption group rejected the candidacy of a former convict ahead of the regional sports council congress.
The protest took place outside the KONI Blitar office on Sunday. Members of Masyarakat Anti Korupsi, known as MAKI, demanded transparency in the election process. They also urged officials to review candidate verification procedures.
The dispute emerged just before the Musyawarah Olahraga Kota, or Musorkot. The meeting will determine the next chairman of the city sports committee. Public attention toward the congress has continued to grow in recent days.
Many local residents consider the election important for the future of sports development in Blitar. The next chairman will oversee programs for athletes, competitions, and regional sports organizations.
KONI Blitar chairman Sukarji met the protesters during the demonstration. He said the organization respected public criticism and welcomed community participation.
“We highly appreciate the aspirations from the community. This shows public concern for sports development,” Sukarji said.
According to him, MAKI questioned whether one candidate fulfilled the required administrative and organizational standards. Protesters also claimed the candidate’s background conflicted with integrity values expected from a sports leader.
Sukarji explained that the city-level KONI board could not make final decisions alone. He said the organization would report the protest demands to KONI East Java and the Blitar Youth and Sports Agency.
“Today’s hearing and demands from MAKI will be reported to KONI East Java and the local sports agency,” he explained.
Despite pressure from demonstrators, Sukarji confirmed that the Musorkot would continue according to schedule. Registration and candidate verification processes had already finished before the protest happened.
“We cannot change the schedule. The Musorkot will continue tomorrow,” he stressed.
Sukarji also admitted that future decisions from higher authorities could still affect the final outcome. If provincial officials later find legal or administrative problems, the official management decree may not receive approval.
“If our superiors later conclude that a candidate has legal problems, the official appointment decree may not be issued,” he added.
Meanwhile, MAKI protest coordinator Mariono Setyo Budi demanded organizers cancel the disputed candidacy before the congress begins.
He argued that KONI requires leaders with strong credibility and clean public records. According to him, integrity remains important for maintaining trust within the sports community.
“We want KONI to be led by someone with integrity and a good track record,” Mariono said.
“If this candidacy moves forward, we will stage another protest during the Musorkot,” he added.
MAKI also threatened to escalate the issue through legal channels. The organization said it could report the case to the Indonesian Sports Arbitration Board, known as BAORI, and the State Administrative Court.
“We are ready to take this issue to BAORI and even the administrative court if necessary,” Mariono said.
The controversy has increased tensions ahead of the election. The dispute has also raised broader concerns about transparency and accountability in local sports organizations.

